5 Natural Remedies for Managing Degenerative Disc Disease
Degenerative disc disease is a condition caused by the vertebrae in the spine. As the body ages, the discs start showing wear and tear. Everyone suffers some damage to the discs over time. Many people, however never experience pain. Others start feeling pain in the spine. Discs are constructed of a soft, inner core covered by a hard outer shell. When the shell is damaged, pain begins. In general, it’s not possible to reverse degenerative disc disease. However, if you can get the right care and treatment, you can reduce its symptoms significantly.
What’s wrong with conventional treatments?
Most people seek treatment to relieve pain and stop further degenerating of the spine. For many, this means taking over the counter pain relievers like ibuprofen. It’s the go-to anti-inflammatory medication many doctors recommend. When stronger pain relief is needed, doctors may write a prescription for stronger medication. However, there are a lot of side effects from these types of medications.
In some instances, physical therapy helps alleviate the pain. Therapy can help strengthen muscles in the back and neck which provides better support for the spine and relieves the pain. Some doctors treat the pain associated with degenerative disc disease with steroid shots. If none of these methods work, often doctors will recommend surgery to remove damaged portions of the disc. This may take enough pressure off the back to relieve pain. If the disc is severely damaged, an artificial one may be constructed and inserted.
5 Natural Ways to Relieve Symptoms of Degenerative Disc Disease
Other than conventional treatment options, there are several natural remedies that may be able to help relieve pain and other symptoms of degenerative disc disease. Here are a few to try if you’d like to deal with it more naturally.
1. Remain Active. Most people with degenerative disc disease have less pain when they are moving around than when they are sitting still. Regular exercise can help keep muscles strong while supporting the spine and helping reduce pain.
2. Encourage Collagen Production. Collagen is like the glue in your body that holds it all together. It’s needful for a healthy spine and helps keep discs and vertebrae working as they are supposed to. Drinking bone broth is one way to promote collagen production. It contains the nutrients needed to rebuild collagen levels.
3. Healthy Weight. When you carry more weight, you put more pressure on your joints and spine. Losing extra weight can help relieve pressure. You want a long-term change, not just a drastic drop in weight. This means eating a well-balanced diet and moving more.
4. Choose the Right Foods. The nutrients you consume have a huge impact on your overall health. Choosing the right foods can help improve the body’s anti-inflammatory agents. You want to eat plenty of fresh veggies and whole fruits if you want to reduce pain naturally.
5. Natural Painkillers. You can relieve pan naturally without taking over the counter medications. Essential oils, for example, can be useful for managing pain. Epsom salt is a natural option to help reduce inflammation.